7 Best Face Serums in India for all Skin Types5 minute
Everything you Need to Know About Face Serums
You probably think you have your skincare routine on point. You’ve got your face wash, toner, cleanser, moisturiser, sunscreen and exfoliator. What more could there be? Well, the beauty and cosmetic space is a confusing one with new products hitting the shelves every now and then. This time around, a product that beauty junkies are swearing by is the face serum. They’re flooding the drugstore aisles everywhere and are quickly becoming a valuable addition to every skincare regimen.
Adding an extra step to an already extensive routine can be a daunting task. Well, face serum is something you won’t regret. It can seamlessly be incorporated into your existing skincare routine and is really worth your time and investment.
If you’re someone who is planning to introduce a vitamin C serum to your skin diet, we have you covered with the ultimate guide.
Read on to find out more about the best face serums, the benefits, the dos and don’ts and the application.
What is a Face Serum?
A face serum is a lightweight moisturiser that has a high concentration of active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, and vitamin C. Think of it as a potent source of nutrition and nourishment for your skin. Though most face serums are a featherweight formula, they have heavy-duty benefits.
However, using a serum is not a one-size-fits-all deal. There are different types of serums available in the market that are formulated to take care of specific skin issues such as pigmentation, anti-aging, dullness, wrinkles, clogged pores and fine lines. Compared to a regular moisturiser, the consistency of a face serum is much thinner. This is what makes it highly effective. They’re available in a myriad of formulas including gels, oils and light creams. It’s all you need to quench your skin’s thirst and boost its hydration.
5 Surprising Benefits of Using Face Serums
- A hyaluronic acid serum or retinol serum is known to hydrate the skin. Just a few applications can make dry and dull-looking skin healthier and nourished.
- If you’re someone with oily skin, visible pores can be really annoying. The right face serum shrinks pores considerably. Besides clearing the dirt, they also unclog pores.
- Mornings are the best time to use vitamin C serum. It not just brightens brown spots but also fights ageing signs such as fine lines, wrinkles and blemishes. As the potent ingredients repair skin cells, you’re left with supple, radiant and nourished skin.
- Individuals with acne-prone or oily skin are often hesitant to use face serums as they believe that such products will make their skin oiler. However, this isn’t true. Since most face serums are a lightweight formula, they tend to mattify the face leading to fewer breakouts and reduced acne. They leave no residue, oil or grease on the skin.
- Think of a face serum as a face shield. Since it is infused with vitamin C, vitamin E and hyaluronic acid, it protects your skin from free radicals. It prevents premature wrinkles and skin aging which can occur due to a bevy of external environmental factors.
Best Face Serums in India for Oily & Dry Skin
Choosing a serum can be slightly tricky. To be honest, it all depends upon your needs. What is the underlying factor that is making you buy a serum? Most women with dry skin often want hydrating serums while those aged above 30 often reach for anti-aging serums. Whatever be your need and skin type, here are the best drugstore serums we can vouch for.
Best Serum for Oily Skin
Lotus Herbals White Glow Serum
People with oily skin often complain of not finding the right serum for their skin type. Let me tell you, the Lotus Herbals White Glow Serum will change your mind. Infused with fruit and plant extracts, the formula is perfect for all skin types. It has a triple action on the skin by brightening, whitening and lightening it. It not just blends well but also minimises appearance of pores on the skin. It also works as a primer thus keeping makeup in place. The serum plus moisturiser is highly affordable for everyday use.
Pond’s Gold Radiance Serum
If you’re looking for an anti-aging serum, the Pond’s Gold Radiance Serum has you covered. The product is known to restore the skin’s nutrients. Within a few uses, you will notice reduced pigmentation marks and diminishing age spots. As the name implies, it truly gives your skin a youthful radiance. It works effectively as a makeup base too. However, the serum is priced slightly higher than other brands.
The Body Shop Vitamin C Serum
Looking to give your skin a dose of nourishment? The vitamin C face serum from The Body Shop is literally going to become your best friend. Besides being light and refreshing, it gives your skin an instant glow. Its citrusy formula makes it a great serum for oily skin. A single pump is sufficient for your entire face. If you’re someone who wears makeup often, you could also use this during base preparation as it controls oiliness. However, we won’t recommend this for someone with sensitive and acne-prone skin. Overall, it’s a great product but quite heavy on the pocket.
Best Serum for Dry Skin
Juicy Chemistry Rosehip Facial Oil
For those with extremely dry skin, only a face serum may not be enough. Go a step further and try the Rosehip Facial Oil from Juicy Chemistry. It not just repairs damaged skin but also reduces visible signs of ageing. Since it is infused with Helichrysum, it reduces inflammation and boosts the free-radical defence of the skin. However, it is not recommended for those with acne-prone skin. It offers impeccable results but comes with a hefty price tag.
Biotique Bio Dandelion Ageless Serum
The Bio Dandelion Lightening Serum from Biotique is one of the best face serums for dry skin. What we love most about the product is that it is filled with the goodness of natural derivatives such as nutmeg oil, dandelion extract, vitamin E and minerals. Regular application not just brightens the skin but also reduces dark spots considerably. Its lightweight texture ensures it is easily absorbed into the skin. It is also one of the most affordable drugstore face serums.
Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance Skin Serum
Lakme aces the game when it comes to cosmetic, beauty and skincare products. That’s exactly why we’re totally gushing over this all-new Lakme serum. Enriched with vitamins and reflecting pearls, this product is definitely going to give your skin an even and radiant look. If you have oily skin, one application a day is enough while if your skin is more on the drier side, use it during your day and night time skincare routine. It also works as a hydration serum.
Best Homemade Face Serum for Glowing Skin
DIY Face Serum
Serums are miracle products for the skin but they also come with a price tag. Why not take the homemade route? Believe it or not, you can make your own face serum for glowing skin, customised for your skin type and that too at a much cost-effective price.
DIY face serums are literally everything right now. They are known to fight specific skin conditions such as ageing, acne, pigmentation and dark spots.
Here’s a concoction for the best homemade face serum for glowing skin:
- 2 tbsp rose water
- 2 tbsp aloe vera extract
- 2 capsules vitamin E
To prepare the serum, mix fresh aloe vera extract or gel with rose water. Next, add in the vitamin E capsules. Mix vigorously and your face serum is ready.
So simple, right?
Transfer to a dropper bottle or airtight container. Use it over a clean and dry face, twice a day.
Face Serum: DOs and DON’Ts
- Choose a serum that fits the needs of your skin: If you have acne-prone skin, a vitamin C serum or antioxidant serum works best. On the other hand, if you have dry skin, pick a hyaluronic acid serum that will retain maximum moisture.
- Give your serum time to work: While serum is a miracle product, don’t expect to see results overnight. Once you’ve carefully massaged the serum onto your skin, give it time to work. This will enable it to penetrates into your skin’s surface better.
- Choose your serum carefully: Choosing the best drugstore face serum can be an overwhelming experience. Since there are plenty of options out there, it’s important to make a wise decision. When buying a face serum online, keep in mind your skin woes and skin type. Read the ingredients and composition properly before making an investment.
- Always take a patch test: Before introducing any new product into your skincare routine, always perform a patch test. Finding the right face serum is all about trial and error. Some people get it right the first time while some don’t. Be patient and you will find the right product for your skin type.
- Chill your serum: Serums have a shelf-life since they’re replete with active ingredients. Avoid storing them in hot or humid places. To keep the potency of your vitamin C serum intact, we would recommend storing it in the refrigerator.
- Less is More: As mentioned earlier, serums are highly concentrated and therefore, a little goes a long way in giving your skin the intended benefits. Don’t apply too much as this can irritate the skin. Instead of piling it onto your skin, take a few drops on your palm, warm them between your fingertips and evenly apply it all over your face and neck. If your skin still feels parched, take another drop or two but refrain from overdoing it.
- Consult your dermatologist: If you have a skin condition such as eczema or rosacea, consult your dermatologist before choosing any new cosmetic or beauty product. Certain formulas can weaken the skin barrier leading to severe issues.
Step-By-Step Guide to Using Face Serums
Now that you know the importance of a face serum in your daily skincare routine, let’s delve deeper into its application. Knowing how to correctly layer a serum can go a long way in showing promising results. Follow our guide to get the most out of the best face serums:
Step 1: Cleanse
Cleansing is a prerequisite in any skincare routine. Before applying any product onto your face, it is important to get rid of dirt, grime, oils or excess impurities. Based on your skin type, reach out for something that tackles your biggest skincare concerns. You could also use a toner at this stage.
Step 2: Serum
After cleansing and toning your face thoroughly, take a pea-size amount of any vitamin C serum and gently apply it all over your face and neck. A thin layer should be sufficient. Massage and tap the skin to enhance the absorption process. Focus on areas where wrinkles and fine lines tend to form. Once you have liberally applied the given quantity on your face, wait for around five minutes for the skin to absorb all the nourishment you’ve just given it.
Step 3: Moisturise
A common myth around serums is that it can replace a moisturiser. The answer is NO. Both the products cannot be used interchangeably. Once a serum gives your skin the much-needed vitamin shot, you’ve got to seal the deal with a moisturiser. Thus, after the face serum has been absorbed completely, apply your daily moisturiser, followed by an SPF 30 sunscreen if you’re stepping out.
If you’re craving smooth, supple and radiant-looking skin, now is the time to add a face serum to your skincare routine. It does not just have a myriad of benefits but also gives the inside and outside of your skin nutrition and nourishment.