How To Decide What Career Is Right For You3 minute
Whether you're about to finish schooling and enter a college or you're just going to graduate, it’s frustrating to not be able to foresee what's next. Because with a new year comes a whole lot of responsibilities that get piled on your shoulders. You are not alone in this, everyone at some point goes through this confusion. So if you don’t know where to begin, take a deep breath and go through these 7 key points and by the end of the article, I promise you will have at least some clarity about the getting started with a new journey.
7 tips for choosing a career
- Know your interests- You need to understand what excites in life. What activities you enjoy in your personal time, because your happiness also matters. Working like a robot will never give you happiness and satisfaction in your life. So ask yourself these questions.
- Do you like working with people or animals?
- Do you like working alone or with team members?
- What are the hobbies that you enjoy?
- Are those hobbies marketable?
2. Know your skills- You should know that different jobs need different kinds of skill sets. So take some time to think about it and note down every skill you have. Go through them and assess what can be marketable. Analyze what kind of soft or hard skills you possess. For example, some of you might like programming. Some might tend towards fine arts. So evaluate what you are good at and what makes you happy.
3. Set your goals- Setting a proper goal is never a bad idea because then you have something to work towards. Try to determine what you want from your career.
- How much money do you want to make?
- Do you want to help people or do you want to travel?
- Where do you want to live, what are the things you want to buy in the future (if any)?
Because if your long term goal is not compatible with your career then you might need to reconsider. Self-satisfaction and happiness are also important you might feel disappointed later on.
4. What education and training to take- Different kinds of careers need different education and training. Suppose you want to be a doctor or an engineer, then you have to take your training according to your choice. Suppose you want to pursue a career in arts, then you don’t need to take up engineering just as backup. Because you will be wasting your money and time. So choose accordingly. Make your decision and stick to it.
5.Social environment and happiness- Happiness is the most important aspect when it comes to what you want to do. Because if you are not happy with what you do, you will always feel drained in life and it will impact the different aspects of your life.
You also need to consider what type of environment you want to work in. Some people are introverts and they might prefer a desk job. If you are an extrovert then you might consider working in a team, where you will have exposure to a lot of people and abundant opportunities to interact with them.
6. Always do your research- Every career has its own preparation. You will need to consider what type of resources you have. Do you have reliable source for the amount of money you will need over a period of time? Will you be able to put your effort into it and come out as a champion?
Always do research before getting into the field because it might be different from what you had initially imagined. A better way is to talk to people who are already in that field. You can consider doing an internship in the same field so you have a proper idea of what you are getting into.
7. Always be prepared for change- Always keep in mind that things can always change. You should be ready to accept change. Suppose the field you are choosing as your career does not have the same requirement in 10 years, then what? Because these days there is no job security and stability for many fields. But no need to panic, it is never too late to start and there are millions of new opportunities arising every day and I believe you will be able to find where you belong.
Once you have decided what to pursue, it is time for you to put effort into it. If you put your heart and dedicate yourself to it, then you will most definitely thrive in your career.