Best Safe Sex Practices - All You Need To Know!4 minute
In Indian society, the woman doesn’t have control over sex-related decisions expect few. Men always tend to have control over this situation. This results in different types of sexual problems for women. I would like to convey it to them that it is totally right to take control of your sexual life and you have every right to make the decision for yourself. It is time for you to make your priorities clear. You do not need to surrender for the pleasure of men. You need to prioritize your needs and ask for the same from your partners.
It is time for men also to understand the importance of it and should respect the woman’s decision in sexual acts. Very few men consider the pleasure of their partners, rest just think about them and forget how a woman feels about it. Either you are already having sex or you are thinking about having sex for the first time. I am here to provide you with a few tips on how you can have safe sex.
As a woman, being prepared and ready for safe sex is very wise and healthy. It is good to prevent the spreading of sexually transmitted infections(STIs), such as gonorrhea, syphilis, or HIV. This was you and your partner both can be disease-free. By using birth control pills you can also avoid unwanted pregnancies.
Keep the following tips in the mind while having sex and you will be avoiding a lot of troubles.
- Are you ready for sex- Sex is a big change in your life. It changes your relationships too. Having sex changes the way you feel about you and how your partner feels about you. So there is nothing wrong to wait when you are ready. You can politely decline if you don’t want to have sex. If you feel comfortable with your partner and you trust him then you can engage in sexual intercourse.
- Communication is key- Talking with your partners about sex is always healthy. Be honest about past sexual experiences and your preferences. Never go beyond your comfort zone because later you will be the one feeling bad about yourself. For example, if you are not comfortable performing oral sex then no need to do it just because your partner demands it. If you are not comfortable doing it then both of you will end up disappointed. So better you sit down with your partner and discuss your comfort and discomfort.
- Always use protection- The best way to avoid pregnancy and lower the risk of any STI is to use protection every time you have a sexual encounter. There are male and female condoms available in the market. As for the Indian market male condoms are easily available. So always ask your partner to use one. There is nothing wrong with keeping a stock of condoms even if you are a woman. Because sometimes asking a man using condoms hits their ego. But you stand your ground because you will be the one bearing the unwanted pregnancy. If you or your partner are allergic to latex condoms and polyurethane condoms are also available. So better safe than sorry.
- Practice safe oral and anal sex- one of the common mistake people make when it comes to safe sex is, they think only penis and vaginal sex needs protection. But if you are doing anything at all sexual then you need to take proper precautions. For oral sex always use a condom to avoid an STI. Male condom reduces the risk of any STIs during anal sex. Even if you are monogamous and you are comfortable with your partner but still use protection every time.
- Be careful of the vaginal products- Don’t rush into using any vaginal wash. These products can wash away the healthy bacteria which prevents infections. So using such products regularly makes you prone to STIs. Use proper lubricants while having sex. Because condoms may tear up if you both are not properly lubricated. Lubricants also prevent any type of skin tearing during sex.
- Always clean sex toys- sometimes when you and your partner want to spice things up in your relationship then you can use sex toys too. It will not get you pregnant but it is capable of spreading STIs. Always clean sex toys and sterilize them. Read the instructions on the packet properly because different kind of materials needs different kinds of cleaning.
Just in the name of pleasure don’t go on putting anything in your vagina. If your partner suggests doing so politely refuse it. Always try to put a condom on sex toys this way you can keep it clean it better. Keep separate toys for vaginal and anal pleasure separately.
- What to do in case of unsafe sex- sometimes during sex the condom might tear up or if you have sex without a condom then no need to panic. You can use the emergency contraceptive pill within 24 hours and avoid pregnancy. It can be used up to 96 hours after sex but effects minimize with time. At any sexual health clinic, you can get an STI examination by a nurse.
- The best sex is safe sex- In Indian society, the sex has always been a taboo. Bringing this topic with your partner often becomes uncomfortable. But it is important to have a discussion about it. Because it will keep you both healthy.
Always keep these in mind
- If you are ever forced to have sex then reject it. It is never okay to have forced sex. Always try to talk about it with an adult you trust.
- Never use too much alcohol and drugs during sex, it will compromise your decision making and you might end up doing something you will regret later.
PS- The above-discussed tips also apply to LGBT couples, so always keep these in check. You can find LGBT friendly clinics near you via LGBT support helplines and groups in your city.
I hope the above-discussed tips will help you have a healthy and safe sexual encounter. If you feel that if some tips are left out feel free to drop it in the comment section.