What's Buzzing This Week?2 minute
We are back again with this week’s news snippets:
1. Safe City Project to ensure the safety of women says CM of Himachal Pradesh, Jai Ram Thakur. The system would help provide assistance to women, girls and senior citizens in emergency situations, and also enabling the smooth movement of ambulances, police vans and fire engines.
2. Sakhi, a one-stop centre for women in distress set up in the Bemina region of Srinagar, opened on Monday. At the centre, they offer free medical aid, psychological support, police assistance or some other legal help to women facing any form of violence.
3. Bhawana Kanth to participate in the R-Day parade, the first woman fighter pilot to do so. Kanth is also one of the first women fighter pilots in the IAF. She, along with Avani Chaturvedi and Mohana Singh, was recruited to the IAF as the first female fighter pilots in 2016.
4. Greece #Metoo: Women ending the secrecy of sports abuse. When former Olympic champion Sofia Bekatorou disclosed that she had been sexually abused by an anonymous Hellenic Sailing Federation (HSF) official, few knew that her strong testimony would prompt the #Metoo campaign in Greek sport.
5. Caller ID and spam-blocking Truecaller has launched a print and outdoor marketing campaign—the first in any country—to enable more women to report crimes such as sexual assault through phone calls and text.
6. Tamil Nadu: 6.26 crore voters, women outnumbered men – according to the latest electoral data.
Women in our nation have reached great heights of success, yet most of them are still not aware of the most common laws for Indian women laid down by our government. Read our article to find out about laws for Indian women.