What's Buzzing This Week?2 minute
Here's your weekly dose of some interesting news you need to know right now!
1. Amazon India is introducing a special storefront showcasing the items made available by more than 450 women-led small businesses on its online marketplace.
2. After almost 25 years of hiatus, the Indian Navy deployed four woman officers to warships, with the service focused on opening up more positions to those who are familiar with the development.
3. Out of one in three women worldwide, about 736 million, have been subjected to physical or sexual abuse in their lifetimes, according to a recent report by the World Health Organization (WHO).
4. Indian women's team opener Smriti Mandhana changed the record books on Tuesday, after scoring her 18th half-century ODI against South Africa in Lucknow. Mandhana is the first cricketer to smash 10 consecutive 50-plus scores at One Day Internationals while chasing.
5. In an attempt to recognize the attempts of women to break down the stereotypes of the once male-dominated maritime industry, Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya flagged off an all-women crew on Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) vessel MT Swarna Krishna, said the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways on Sunday.
6. In the first-of-its-kind angel network in India, LetsVenture is launching the Women Angel Network, which will provide women angel investors with access to investment in early and growth start-ups and also provide mentoring and support.
7. Google revealed on International Women's Day that it would help 1 million entrepreneurs in rural India. A $25 million fund has also been announced for projects addressing systemic barriers towards economic equality globally.
8. Work from home helps married women get back to work. Sectors that are the early adopters of remote work options, such as IT/ITeS and BFSI, are the most popular sectors among women.
9. State-run power giant NTPC Ltd has launched a special recruitment drive to hire women executives across its business units.
10. The Delhi Government declared on Tuesday that it would launch a new scheme to empower women and give them a greater position in the economy through the establishment of 500 Anganwadi hubs in different parts of the city.